I’ve always said everyone should own rental property in their lifetime. “Why?” might you ask.
For one thing, you’ll have stories to write a blog about, and another, you wouldn’t believe the excuses people come up with when they don’t have the rent. More on the last one later, but first a story.
One of the houses we once rented out was right across the highway from us. It sat on two acres and had two beautiful Magnolia trees out front with limbs that touched the ground.
A really cute couple moved in with a six-month-old baby. The wife, Amy (names have been changed), decided the baby needed to be drinking goat’s milk. So she bought a milk goat.
We stopped by one day, and there the goat was, tied to the back door. Stepping around droppings, we knocked, and Amy came to the door.
She was really excited about the goat until my husband told her she couldn’t leave it tied to the back door. She would have to move it. Amy couldn’t quite understand why, but she agreed.
The next time we drove by, Amy had moved the goat. To the front door.
Another time we had an older couple in the house. Remember the huge, old Magnolias? They decided they didn’t like the limbs that draped to the ground. One day we drove by the house and were aghast to discover they had cut all the limbs as high as they could reach. They had totally ruined the Magnolia.
As I said, everyone should own at least one rental property in their lifetime. 😉 And lest anyone think I’m disparaging renters, I’m not. I was one…more than once, and I didn’t always have the rent on time. But I did try to take care of the other person’s property.
That said, now for the excuses people give for not having the rent.
That is our Mystery Quiz this week. Three statements were given for reasons not to pay the rent and one is FALSE. Which excuse is the one I made up?
- “I don’t have our lease handy, but I’m pretty sure there was something about not paying rent when we are not here… We was on vacation for 2 and a half weeks.”
- “I was going to pay on the 1st, but you upset me by sending me a reminder to pay. You don’t need a reminder to pay your mortgage, do you?”
- “I’m two months behind. Can I pay you this month and we’ll call it even?”
- “We paid our rent money to the vet. Our ferret needed medical attention.”
Okay Mystery Sleuths, one of the above is false. Which one is it? Leave your answer in the comments to be entered in a drawing for Susan May Warren’s Wild Montana Skies.
And now for the answer to last week’s Mystery Question:
There are four accident reports and six choices. Your assignment if you choose to take it is to choose the correct answer:
- “A pedestrian hit me and went under my car.”
- “An invisible car came out of nowhere, struck my vehicle, and vanished.”
- A truck backed through my windshield and into my wife’s face.”
- “I thought my window was down; but found it was up when I put my hand through it.”
- They are all correct.
- They are all incorrect.
- One is False and it is __.
And the answer is…#5. They are all true. Can you believe people really report these things???
Don’t forget to leave your answer to this week’s quiz in the comment section! And tell me if you’ve ever owned rental property.